Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A flyaway success: Victorian dress made from 1,000 beetle wings restored at a cost of £50,000









A Victorian dress made from 1,000 beetle wings that was worn by one of the most famous actresses of the era has been restored at a cost of £50,000.

The emerald and sea green gown - worn by Ellen Terry when she played Lady Macbeth at London's Lyceum Theatre in 1888 - will now go on display in Smallhythe Place, Kent.

It is covered with the iridescent wings of the jewel beetle which the insects naturally shed as part of their life cycle.



Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1366616/Victorian-beetle-wing-dress-worn-Ellen-Terry-display-50k-repair-job.html#ixzz1Gk3q8JqM

4 comments:

Kat_RN said...

How very cool. I wish I could see it. You find the most interesting stuff!
Kat

Hermes said...

I was rather amazed when I saw this. Ellen Terry was very interesting and never heard of this in anything I'd read about her.

Zoe said...

Thankyou so much for posting this it was fascinating and I love the way you always seem to manage to find amazing little extras from this period :) I hope that you don't mind but I have re-blogged about this but have obviously linked you! x

Hermes said...

You're more than welcome Tulip. Your blog looks like it will be really good. I love 19th and 29th century history and the art movements of the period. I envu you see the exhibitions. I have a big press release for the Drawing one but have been too busy to process it. There are some good Morris web sites and a good one on Facebook. He is a hero of mine and May Morris.