Friday, June 11, 2010

Miss C. Gould - Preparing for market




Watercolour and bodycolour on paper
Inscribed on sack SFvCG
c.1855
22.24 inches wide 15.51 inches high

Miss C. Gould is a little known artist who exhibited watercolour genre scenes at the Society of British Artists in 1855 and 1856. She lived in London. It is possible that she subsequently married and ceased to exhibit or that her exhibition record continues under her married name.

http://www.leicestergalleries.com/art-and-antiques/detail/13004

2 comments:

Margaret said...

I love the details of the vegetables! I can almost feel the straw and dust beneath my feet. What an interesting painting.

Hermes said...

Isn't it amazing that someone with such talent can be so obscure. I only noticed her checking the dealer sites. I agree about the vegetables - and oddly, my Father was a green-grocer.